Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dating Double Standards

So...basically right after I wrote my last post about my 'Ninja Turtles' I stopped initiating any contact with any of them.

It's not that I don't like them as people...it's just that I'm not attracted enough to any of them to bother putting in any more effort (omg I'm such a bitch).

But the funny thing is that once I stopped initiating contact, two things happened: 1) the two romantic interests who are female stopped contacting me completely; and 2) the two romantic interests who are male started texting me twice as much.

When I told a couple of friends about this development, they reluctantly agreed that it made sense to get these results. It seems that, so-called gender equality aside, guys and girls do not behave in the same ways when it comes to playing "the game" (side note: I've read The Game and loved it...omg I'm such a douchebag).

So this made me think of what other dating double standards have come up in my experience. And in particular, what double standards *I* have when I'm out with someone of the male vs. female variety (and yes, I only group the people I've dated into two genders, though I'm quite aware that there may be more genders out there. C'mon - I'm from Alberta! There's an inherent conservatism to my character :P).

Anyway, with that introduction out of the way, I now present my dating double standards:

1) Date Idea
  • When I'm planning to meet a dude, I prefer that he decides what we do together, even if it's just meeting up for a coffee.
  • When I'm planning to meet a chick, I don't mind choosing the location, activity, etc.
  • Analysis: I don't like guys who can't take the lead.


2) Paying
  • When I'm dining out with a guy, I expect him to at least offer to pay for both our meals. If we are planning to do anything else that day, I will accept his offer and then pay for the next activity. If we are not planning to do anything else that day, then I will offer to pay for my half, but will still allow him to pay for us both if he insists (ha ha free food!).
  • When I'm dining out with a girl, I expect her to at least offer to pay for her portion of the meal. If she offers to pay for both our meals, I won't let her. If I really like her, I will offer to pay for both of our meals. If I don't like her at all and never want to see her again, I will still offer to pay for both of our meals to assuage my impending guilt for never contacting her again (it really works. I usually don't feel guilty at all after that!).
  • Analysis: I must enjoy making dating much more complicated than necessary for myself.


3) Innuendo
  • When I'm seeing a fellow, I get irritated if he starts making innuendos before we've been out more than two times.
  • When I'm seeing a lady, I get annoyed if she hasn't made any innuendos at all by the end of our second date.
  • Analysis: I have sexist double standards.

Hmm...so much for me always claiming that gender doesn't matter...

1 comment:

  1. In theory, I do this too! It is only in theory for me because my love life is not so action-packed as yours. But it is sooooooo not our fault that we have been ingrained with certain notions of gender roles for so long...

    ReplyDelete